I have a lot to be grateful for, my health, a good sense of humour, living in Canada, being lucky. All these are good reasons to be grateful but the best reason I have these days comes from my fans. I have the best fans out there. You folks are awesome without a doubt and I am not always certain I deserve the support you give me but I am happy to accept it none the less.
This tour has been reminding me about this like no other I've done. Here are a few of the things that have happened simply because my fans decided to show me how much they appreciate my work.
1) I received an invitation to play at the Mary Berglund Community Health Centre in Ignace this past week. The person who wrote the e-mail said they had been checking my schedule and noticed that I was playing in Thunder Bay one night and then Wabigoon the next night. Since I had to travel by could I work a show in for them. Of course I did and it was great. It turns out that Gloria (I have forgotten her last name) is the Executive Director of the centre and has been a big fan of mine for sometime. She wanted to get me there so that her friends and people she helps could experience my music. Thanks a heap Gloria.
2) In Wawa I reunited with a long time fan named Peter Burgoyne. Peter has been following me since I first played in North West Ontario and took the time to tell me how happy he was that I had returned to touring. Thank you Peter for sticking by me and buying my recordings and attending my shows. Without people like you I'd probably be doing something else.
3) Another long time fan in Saskatoon, Joannie Dueck decided that she hasn't seen me enough in Saskatoon so she is organizing her first house concert to host me this July. It's a humbling thing when fans turn into promoters just to get a chance to hear you play. Thanks so much Joannie!
4) I have to thank Elmer Kuber who went way beyond the call of a fan when he single handedly raised $600 in travel funds for the current tour. Elmer asked me if he could send a message out to his friends and others about helping with my tour and I agreed but I had no idea what he was going to say. Elmer offered to all his friends that he would match dollar for dollar any donation to the tour fund. So ultimately donations were $300 and Elmer matched them all for a total of $600 in gas funds for the tour. Thanks so much Elmer!
5) Last but not least is just thanking everyone who comes to my shows every time I stop in and play. People like Carl Bleitch in Dryden who have been there for years and still invites me for pancakes when I'm in town. People like Joanne Stacey who invite me into their homes to perform for their friends. Cathi and Gary Hammer who wrote to say it's been too long since I've been to Swift Current so they organized a house concert. Lorri Solomon in Carlyle who also is opening her house up for a show.
You have no idea how humbled I am by your support folks. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to help me make a living. I sure appreciate you and could not have done it without you or without all the people who just quietly like my music and come to shows, watch my videos on YouTube and buy cds. You people are the best!